The types of ingredients found in many weight loss pills, such as balloon weight loss capsules, include:
- Caffeine: Studies show possible modest effects on body weight or decreased weight gain over time when consuming caffeine. Caffeine is usually OK in small to moderate amounts for most people but can also cause side effects like heart palpitations and restlessness. There’s no sound evidence that caffeine alone will help you lose weight, and the cons of taking too much caffeine definitely seem to outweigh the pros.
- Guarana: Guarana has among the highest concentrations of caffeine in any plant; it contain up to 3.5 percent to 5.8 percent caffeine by volume, while coffee only has up to 2 percent. For increased energy and enhanced mental focus, some people use between 200 to 800 milligrams of guarana a day, which seems to be generally safe. However, side effects for some can include those similar to consuming too caffeine, such as difficulty sleeping, indigestion, anxiety, changes in blood pressure, dependence and a quickened heartbeat. Guarana can also interact with medicines like some antidepressants, lithium, sedatives, other stimulants and blood thinners.
- Green tea extract: Of the most popular weight loss ingredients, this seems to be one of the safest. However, it’s not guaranteed to work well enough to really cause noticeable results. Reported adverse effects may include headache and urinary tract infections, although these are rare. Possible benefits include a mild increase in energy expenditure and fat oxidation.
- Garcinia cambogia: Overall studies suggest little to no effect on body weight when taking garcinia cambogia. Some people report reduced hunger, however others experience side effects like loose stools, flatulence, diarrhea, constipation and abdominal discomfort. (4)
- Ephedrine: Significant safety concerns have been reported about this product, even to the point of it being banned as a dietary supplement ingredient in the U.S. Reported reactions include anxiety, mood changes, nausea, vomiting, hypertension, palpitation, stroke, seizures, heart attack and death. (5)
- Related ingredients like carnitine, conjugated linoleic acid, forskolin, kelp and fucoxanthin
As you can see, while some of these active ingredients might be helpful in small amounts, they’re not for everybody. Rather than relying on taking supplements to help you shed extra body weight, below you’ll learn other safer fat burners that can work long term.